Exciting Expansion Plans for Your Village Shop
VILLAGE SHOP EXPANSION PLANS!
As some of you now know, we have submitted an application to TVBC to carry out some works to our home and shop. The news was covered by the Andover Advertiser, https://www.andoveradvertiser.co.uk/news/19055104.new-shopfront-extension-plans-barton-stacey-stores/.
Among the changes proposed are:
- Demolition of the store room (the former post office area) at the back of the shop
- Removal of about a meter of soil in the garden adjacent to the shop, to return the ground to its original level. This will assist in damp protection for the external walls.
- Erection of a new, longer extension at the back of the shop, which will now be on the same level as the current shop floor. The idea is to convert part of this into additional retail space, to extend our range of goods for sale, while improving accessibility for the less abled. The rest of the extension will be for storage.
- A new shopfront, which will be much more traditional in look.
- Minor internal changes to the interior of our house.
We will also take the opportunity to spruce up the front of our entire property.
We would therefore welcome your ideas on what new things you think we should do once the extension is complete. (We know many of you supported our plans for a small tearoom when we last put in an application but we have no plans for one this time around.)
There may be a Phase 2 later that would allow us to expand further, but whether it goes ahead, and in what form, will depend on how well the village supports the shop as we return to a post-COVID normality, and once we see how sales can be improved from the initial changes, should our first application be approved.
All our plans have been drawn up with the environment, sustainability, and the uniqueness of Barton Stacey’s Conservation Area very much in mind.
We would like the whole parish to back our plans and thereby help ensure the long-term future of their village store. Comments are welcome below, but positive representations to the borough council are essential. Please overwhelm them with your kind words of support!
You can make a representation to Test Valley Planning & Building Service by email at email@example.com, quoting reference 21/00203/FULLN. The plans can be viewed at https://view-applications.testvalley.gov.uk/online-applications/.